Next, she layers on a gentle retinol serum
retinol-reform-1oz” data-analytics-module=”body_link”>Shani Darden Retinol Reform Serum, $88
With a formula that involves encapsulated retinol (for slower release), lactic acid (for brightening effects), and fruit extract to counteract sun damage, the brand’s creator, Shani Darden, claims it gives users the same benefits of retinol without any irritation or flakiness.
The product instructions warn not to use it if you’re pregnant or nursing, which is common for retinol products.
Though Teigen incorporates this in her morning routine, this product is advertised for nighttime use.
“I do not recommend retinoid application during the day,” said Lee. “The stability of retinoids is compromised by heat and light, so daytime application can result in reduced effectiveness.” She suggested splitting up the first two steps in Teigen’s routine — using the vitamin C serum in the morning and retinoid at night for maximum effectiveness.
Like most retinol products, if you start using this, you should begin by alternating days you apply it to help your skin slowly adjust. This helps skin “build tolerance and prevent over-drying,” Dr. Annie Chiu, a board-certified dermatologist and founder of The Derm Institute, previously told Insider.
Lee also noted that retinol can make skin more sensitive to the sun, so pairing it with sunscreen is crucial if you do decide to wear retinol during the day.
- This Oak Cliff Salon Wants Latina Beauty Professionals to Blossom and Thrive
- Man calls out Admiralty barber who allegedly turned him away because he 'couldn't speak Chinese', Singapore News
- Redken Announces First Annual National Hair Gloss Day
- 14 Best Brushes for Curly Hair of 2022, According to Testers
- Love Island’s Chloe Burrows reveals her REAL hair after ditching extensions